Favorite Books of 2017


My Favorite Books of 2017


(In no particular order)

*To view more information on any book listed just click its title ;)



REBEL OF THE SANDS & TRAITOR TO THE THRONE 

 Alwyn Hamilton: 5 Stars (both)

Image result for rebels of the sands coverImage result for rebels of the sands cover

This is one of those series that I picked up the first book thinking, "this looks like a good read, I'll give it a go" and then I fell head over heals in love. So, obviously, I had to rush out and buy the second book, which was just as amazing! And now, here I am (not so patiently) waiting for the next to be released.
The world was incredible and well developed and the characters easy to connect with. The story offers beautiful  magic, myths, and legends, as well as a strong and determined female heroine.

FLAWED - Cecelia Ahern: 5 Stars

Related image

This was an intense read!! Cecelia Ahern wrote this so well that it felt so real!
We follow Celestine a young lady striving for perfection in a society where flaws are punishable by being branded and essentially outcast. Celestine ends up committing an offence that leaves her on trial to determine whether her actions warrant her being branded as one of the flawed. 
Without giving too much away, this story really takes off once Celestine realizes the need to question the judgement and motives of the people in charge, and starts making decisions based off of her own moral compass rather than societal expectations and fear. 

SIX OF CROWS & CROOKED KINGDOM

  Leigh Bardugo: 5 Stars (both)

Related imageImage result for crooked kingdom cover

This is a fantasy duo-logy following a group of misfit criminals on a journey to pull off an impossible heist. Sounds perfect right? It is! I absolutely LOVED it!! The world, the characters, the action and adventure, the magic, the relationships between the characters!! It was ALL brilliantly done. 

CARAVAL - Stephanie Garber: 5 Stars

Image result for caraval cover

Scarlett has finally received her ticket to see the Caraval, an annual performance where the guests are invited to participate. When Scarlett and her sister, Tella, arrive at the island where the performance is hosted Tella is kidnapped by Legend (Caraval's mastermind) and the only way for Scarlett to save her is to win the show.
Caraval was a fun and interesting read with so much mystery and magic, and twists and turns! One minute I thought I had it all figured out and the next I was questioning my judgement! I was right there along with Scarlett trying to navigate this spectacular, yet terrifying, show.



THE BLACK WITCH - Laurie Forest: 5 Stars

Related image

If I HAD to pick, I would say that The Black Witch was my favorite read of the year. This story sucked me in from the first page and had me cursing myself for having read it so early and leaving more then a year until I could continue the story! 
Elloren is the granddaughter to the last Black Witch. And, even though Elloren looks strikingly like her grandmother she appears to possess none of her power. In a world where magic equals power this leaves Elloren somewhat of an outcast. 
Having been raised by her progressive uncle she is sent to university to further her studies and to avoid interference from her aunt, a prominent political figure, that would surely have her married off for political gain. 
Once at the university we find Elloren fighting to succeed and finding friends and allies in unexpected people and places.




What were your favorite books that you read this year?
If you had to pick just ONE book, what would it be?


Comments

  1. I love Rebel of Sands and Traitor to the Throne and ADORE Leigh Bardugo's books!
    I have mixed feelings about Caraval because I loved it but it also has a lot of flaws :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there :)
      Hero at the Fall is being released January 30th, are you as excited as I am?!

      I agree, I think what pushed me to add Caraval to my favorites list was that - even though it was not perfect - it was unique (I personally, had not read anything like it), and while reading it I became totally invested in the story. It was a book that I didn't want to put down and thought of often after reading it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts